Aug 1, 2011

70 Did men trust women's testimonies


Believer says: Although women’s testimonies were not highly regarded in the first century, the Gospels report that women saw the empty tomb first. It’s strong evidence that the Gospels are true.

But skeptic says: Well, actually there’s some wiggle room there. The Gospel of John puts stock in a woman’s testimony  

John 4:17 "I don't have a husband," she answered. Jesus replied, "You are right when you say you don't have a husband. 18 You have been married to five men, and the man you live with now is not really your husband. You have told me the truth." 19 "I see you are a prophet, sir," the woman said. ... 39 Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they begged him to stay with them, and Jesus stayed there two days.

Recap: The Samaritan townspeople entreated Jesus to stay with them for a while “because of the woman’s testimony”; so indeed they put stock in a woman’s testimony.

Related post on my other blog:
72 So when did Mary see the risen Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment